1957 – The Dowling Family along with Mrs Glen Fogarty had a desire to see a school set up catering for the special needs of people with a disability. A committee was set up and over three months, a building was made habitable behind the Uniting Church in William St, Bathurst. The name Glenray was derived from Mrs Fogartys christian name, and from the “ray of hope that was kept shining for a school for the children”.
1958 – The Glenray Ladies Auxilary was formed, which began fundraising for the school, through cake stalls, fetes and an Opportunity shop, on George St.
1961 – The school moved to a new building, in Browning St, Bathurst (the current site of Carenne School).
1965 – the Bathurst Regional Workshop was opened to cater for employment of people with disability. The organisation merged with Glenray starting what is now known as Glenray Industrial Services, an Australian Disability Enterprise, which offers vocational training and development for the individuals employed in the factory. Glenray Industrial Services now incorporates Bathurst Beds, Timber products, Document destruction, Work Crews, and Packaging and Labelling services.
1971 – Glenray Park, in Yetholme, was opened. The Hostel catered for Adults with disability and is a beautiful federation home set in 10.5 Hectares of garden.
1971 – Carenne School was sold to the Department of Education.
1972 – Glenray House was opened in Russell St Bathurst, which catered for children. In its day the house was seen as the ultimate residential setting for people with disability. It was considered an ultra modern facility with high standards.
1983 – The St Michael’s site in Kelso was purchased from the Anglican church by Glenray and transformed into a hostel for up to 20 Adults with a disability.
1995 – Glenray Park, and Glenray House were closed with the government policy changed to “Community Group Homes”.
1990’s Glenray had a work crew appointed to a Bathurst City Council maintenance contract, maintaining facilities around Bathurst. Glenray still holds this contract today.
2000 – Glenray is incorporated into a company, with a Board Appointed.
2002 – the Glenray Laundry moved to 208 Browning Street, with new and updated premises, transforming from the “wash” shop to Bathurst Laundry. Today the Glenray Laundry is a thriving Commercial Enterprise servicing customers across Regional NSW including Dubbo, Orange, Forbes, Mudgee and Lithgow.
2010 – Glenray began the transformation of the St Michael’s site into group homes, now housing over 50 residents in 7 separate homes.
2016 – Glenray renovates and opens the doors of the Lifestyle and Learning centre at 168 Browning St, Bathurst catering for up to 70 adults with disability.
2016 – Glenray is registered as an approved NDIS Provider.
2017 – St Michael’s was renamed “Glenray Village”.