More than 60 years

Glenray has been innovating people living with a disability for over 60 years!

Timeline

1957

First Glenray School Founded

The Dowling Family along with Mrs Glen Fogarty had a desire to see a school set up catering for the special needs of people with a disability. A committee was set up and over three months, a building was made habitable behind the Uniting Church in William St, Bathurst. The name Glenray was derived from Mrs Fogarty’s Christian name, and from the “ray of hope that was kept shining for a school for the children”.
1958

Glenray Ladies Auxiliary Formed

The Glenray Ladies Auxiliary was formed, which began fundraising for the school, through cake stalls, fetes and an Opportunity shop, on George St.
1961

Glenray Moves to Browning St.

The school moved to a new building, in Browning St, Bathurst (the current site of Carenne School).
1965

Bathurst Regional Workshop Opens

The Bathurst Regional Workshop was opened to cater for employment of people with disability. The organisation merged with Glenray starting what is now known as Glenray Industrial Services, an Australian Disability Enterprise, which offers vocational training and development for the individuals employed in the factory. Glenray Industrial Services now incorporates Bathurst Beds, Timber products, Document destruction, Work Crews, and Packaging and Labelling services.
1971

Glenray Opens in Yetholme

Glenray Park, in Yetholme, was opened. The Hostel catered for Adults with disability and is a beautiful federation home set in 10.5 Hectares of garden.

Carenne School Sold

Carenne School was sold to the Department of Education.
1972

Glenray House Opened

Glenray House was opened in Russell St Bathurst, which catered for children. In its day the house was seen as the ultimate residential setting for people with disability. It was considered an ultra modern facility with high standards.
1983

St Michael’s Opened

The St Michael’s site in Kelso was purchased from the Anglican church by Glenray and transformed into a hostel for up to 20 Adults with a disability.
1995

Glenray Park & House Close

Glenray Park, and Glenray House were closed with the government policy changed to “Community Group Homes”.
1996

Bathurst Council Work Crew

Glenray had a work crew appointed to a Bathurst City Council maintenance contract, maintaining facilities around Bathurst. Glenray still holds this contract today.
2000

Glenray Incorporated

Glenray is incorporated into a company, with a Board Appointed.
2002

Glenray Laundry Moves

The Glenray Laundry moved to 208 Browning Street, with new and updated premises, transforming from the “wash” shop to Bathurst Laundry. Today the Glenray Laundry is a thriving Commercial Enterprise servicing customers across Regional NSW including Dubbo, Orange, Forbes, Mudgee and Lithgow.
2010

St Michael’s Expanded

Glenray began the transformation of the St Michael’s site into group homes, now housing over 50 residents in 7 separate homes.
2016

Lifestyle & Learning Centre Renovated

Glenray renovates and opens the doors of the Lifestyle and Learning centre at 168 Browning St, Bathurst catering for up to 70 adults with disability.

Approved as NDIS Provider

Glenray is registered as an approved NDIS Provider.
2017

St Michael’s renamed Glenray Village

St Michael’s was renamed “Glenray Village”.
2018

Glenray Fire

Glenray Head Office and Laundry & Dry Cleaning Building burns to the ground.